God wants people to understand each other. God wants people to live peacefully, acknowledge other cultures and respect their faiths. People have to stay open-mined and embrace what other value - just like giving free hugs.

When we are confronted with ‘uncivilized’ culture like the Sawi, we shouldn’t force them to change their culture and faith but we should rather wait with patience until they have trust and respect in what we pursue. People will know that we are harmless and what we are bringing is for the best of their culture. When I first encountered Swiss culture, I felt perplexed because it was a great cultural shock for me. The reason why I became to like Swiss culture and even love it is because nobody has forced me to accept something I wasn’t ready for. Of course the transition hasn’t been perfect, having few tumbles but I slowly came to accept what they believe and what they value. People haven’t urged me to change but they waited for me with patience and that won my appeal.

It seems that the process of accepting another culture cannot go entirely peacefully. Perhaps this is God’s intention because people learn form their mistakes. People accept the virtue when they have experienced how bad evil is. A culture cannot be ideal from the beginning of the creation but there had to be adjustments to cover the flaws and to make a more ‘idealized’ culture. In our standards, there is no perfect culture; it can only get better.

2 comments:

This comment has been removed by the author.

December 31, 2008 at 6:28 PM  

Hi seungmin,
I really enjoyed reading your post. I agree with you that there is no such thing as a perfection in this world. Hence, there is no perfect culture. As human beings are not created to be perfect, our creations, such as culture, language, or laws, can never be perfect. Therefore, as you have mentioned, no one has the rights to force others to change. In order to take another step closer to the perfection we pursue, we must acknowledge that we are not perfect and thus should learn from our mistakes and others. I completely agree with you that it is not the 'force' that causes changes but the 'understanding.' Nice post. :)

December 31, 2008 at 6:29 PM  

Newer Post Older Post Home