When I interpret this question without thinking, I might say that primitive cultures are not necessary in our present world. I have nothing against these cultures and I have no intention of offending the reader but as a matter of fact, the present world will be just the same even if cultures like the Sawi don’t exist, in fact the world might be a better place because there is no need for missionaries risking their lives to transfer them to Christians and the government no longer has to intervene. People dream about an ‘idealized world’ where there is only good and we know from our experience that this is impossible because evil is there wherever good is present.

However primitive cultures like the Sawi are ‘valuable’ in our present world. We might not agree with everything about the Sawi culture but it is without doubt that their culture is deep rooted and unique. There are so many things to learn about another culture and demolishing it because we think that it is obsolete is definitely an act of negligence. I want to compare the present world as a complete set of a puzzle. Small bits and pieces make up the ‘whole’ and it wouldn’t be complete when some pieces are missing. Everything that exists in this world has a purpose and importance irrespective of how useful and effective they are and instead of complaining about having primitive cultures like the Sawi, we should be more considerate and appreciative about the existence of such a distinctive culture.

2 comments:

It is an interesting comment. I agree with your perspective on world as a set of puzzle, with its pieces making up a whole. Good metaphor!!!

January 11, 2009 at 5:15 PM  

I am just like you - I hate to admit, but to speak the truth, I do not believe that it is totally necessary for the Sawi to make the world better. I did not think sending missionaries to those regions will be considered a disadvantage of having such a primitive and distinctive culture. I think Christians view those as an opportunity to expand their territory, so to speak. However, I do understand that it could be viewed that way, because risking one's life certainly does not sound fun.

I think the fact that those primitive cultures sill exist makes me appreciate my current surroundings; I can go to school and receive education, I will hopefully and probably make a living and maybe even get married:) I will get a job, etc, etc, blahblah. To me at least, this sounds much more comfortable than hesitating if what my best friend said was a bait, or hopeing my parents have not been killed and EATEN by other tribes.
Interesting and honest post, Christy! :) (Reply - 6)

January 15, 2009 at 6:40 AM  

Older Post Home